Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Eggless Sponge cake


This is a simple, easy to make cake ideal for people who follow an egg free, low calorie diet. In fact I tried this recipe for a kid who was allergic to egg and milk but not soy milk. I had to avoid butter as it is diary.
I did not imagine this cake to be super soft and moist. May be I should call this a bread, but there was not much difference between this bread and the cakes I bake, except this one was softer than the other cakes. I added this in my favorite baking recipes when the baby asked for seconds and thirds. I am not very fond of  icing or frosting unless its a special occasion. If you prefer more sweet than the recipe, feel free to adjust the amount of sugar used.
Substitute ingredients:

Butter – it is easy to substitute butter in recipes with vegetable margarine or oil. I used Olive Oil.
Sugar – bleached white sugar can be substituted with unbleached cane sugar
Eggs - applesauce or Soda can be used. If you are using soda I prefer 7 up. The coke/Pepsi leaves an  aftertaste.
Milk and cream - try using soy milk 

Recipe Ingredients:
All purpose flour (maida) - 2 cups
Olive Oil - 1/2 cup
sugar - 1/2 cup
Soy milk - 200 ml
Baking powder - 1 tablespoon
Soda (7 up) - 1/2 cup

* Preheat oven to 350F/180C for 15 minutes. Coat the loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray on the sides and bottom.
* Sift together the flour and baking powder and keep it aside.
* Add Milk and sugar, beat it on low speed. Add Olive Oil and mix it as well.
* Add the flour mix to milk-sugar-Olive oil mix alternatively and beat for a couple of seconds after each addition.
* Pour the soda and whisk it again.
* Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for around 45 minute or a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Happy Baking.

1 comment:

  1. Soft and yummy cake..
    Wow..New look for the blog..looks cool

    ReplyDelete